Monday, October 20, 2008

75% done, 10 weeks to go!

I feel as though I have entered the twilight zone this morning.
After getting about 3.5 hours of sleep (I was too ramped up coming off of vacation to get to bed at a decent hour) I was woken up by Mike kicking up a storm and a racing heart. I'm attributing the racing heart to the fact that I had flipped over. This mere act is enough to get me sweating. I just couldn't get back to sleep, so I laid in bed waiting for the alarm clock to go off. Luckily, I only laid there about 15 minutes.

I've wanted to write a 1/2 dozen times in the last week, but I couldn't seem to make the time (even though I was on vacation, lol). Josh and I got a lot done around the house. In fact, it is all ready to receive baby with the exception of our office which is still a terror, but one that we will attend to this week. Now it is a matter of KEEPING the house clean. Mike's room is quarantined now - the door is shut and no animals are allowed to roam on the freshly steamed carpets or newly scrubbed walls.

I've set a goal of having the nursery ready to rock and my bags packed for the hospital by December 1st. After my most recent appointment on the 17th it seems like I had better be prepared early. You see, my baby, 29 weeks gestation at the time, was measuring at 30 weeks plus some extra days from his toes to his neck, and his head was actually measuring 32 weeks! Holy crap! Oh, and no wonder I've been feeling him kick so hard - he is closing in on 4 pounds now, lol. Most people I saw at the doc's office that day said "that is one big baby!" In fact, we were told that not so little Michael is in the 95th percentile for his gestational age. I get the results of my glucose test today, and everyone seems convinced that gestational diabetes is the cause of my enormous baby, so we'll see if I have to go back for the 3 hour test now. To frost the baby cake, our nurse practitioner asked me if I knew I was anemic. Huh? I am? My blood has been fine thus far. So, yay me, I find myself now on an iron supplement. On a bright note, my blood pressure was a respectable 120/80, so at least that was normal.

And now I find myself back at work - where things are just crazy. Lets face it, if you work in the financial industry, nothing is normal right now. I feel pretty confident working for GE (we have a pretty good track record of being able to weather storms) but I'm still nervous in general. I've got 9 weeks until my scheduled maternity leave (let's see if I actually make it the full 9 weeks since the Doctor said they will induce me early if my babies big head does not slow its roll). I'm frantic to get everything perfect before my 6-8 week departure (haven't quite decided yet) and with the US economy getting worse by the second, I'm not sure this is possible.
Does anyone else feel like the US economy is in large part being caused by the Main Stream Media? I can't help but feel like they started this whole mess with their doom and gloom outlook on the housing bubble.

Alright - I have a million more things to write about, but my morning free time is quickly coming to an end, and I must now play catchup after having been gone for a week. Have a wonderful week everyone!

(Also - I have ultrasound pictures to show off! Mike refused to show his face, but we got some great shots of his sweet little tush and his big old feet --- I'll get them scanned and posted today).


  1. If I may add my two cents- be leery if they are pushing induction on you- do your own research. Hopefully you pass your glucose tolerance test- my boss had to do the 3 hour test and said it stunk. Plus being diagnosed w/ gestational diabetes is no picnic either. When we have our next one, I will do whatever I can to avoid being induced, Pitocin really made my labor process difficult. In other news, looking forward to your shower but wouldn't mind getting together beforehand- have any free time this week? XOXO

  2. Liz,

    Thank you for the insight. I agree with you - I have always been leery of being induced. I figured they called pitocin "Devil's piss" for a reason. But still, the doctor advised that the only reason for inducing would be to avoid a c-section (which I really don't want to mess with). So, anyway, we are gonna play it by ear. Hopefully Mike's head will just stop growing so fast and everything will be normal!!

    And yes - lets hang out! Does Thursday work for you?

  3. Take a book! I had to wait around the lab for the whole three hours. I was trying to study and get some work done, but kept falling asleep! Although, they told me on my second child that if I had to take the 3 hour test I wouldn't have to hang around the lab. I guess the policy changed...or it could be that we were in a different state...

  4. Thursday would be perfect- want to come by after work? Let me know if you need my address again.

  5. Wow, you have been busy. I'm just gonna put this out there...GO TO BED! Seriously. Sleep as much as you can. That's my best advice. Heck, vote and then sleep through the rest of November 4...I fear it like the plague. Sigh...

    But still...sleep. Then go out to eat and see a few movies. (You know where to be November 21. Ahem!)

    In other news, I'm loving his he gonna be Michael or "Mike," or "We'll wait and see after he's here?"