Friday, December 5, 2008

An Early Christmas Gift...

I was expecting little baby Gaines to continue to measure ahead at today's appointment. At 29 weeks when our little fella's head was measuring 32 weeks, I figured "there is no way I'm making it to my due date." However, I was not prepared for how far ahead he would be measuring today. I am almost 36 weeks pregnant today. Michael has decided to come in at the 97th percentile of babies in the womb and has a head that is measuring 41 weeks, and the rest of his body is measuring 39 weeks. HOLY CRAP! The ultrasound tech estimates that he weighs 8 pounds! At 36 weeks!

So - we at least have a game plan now. Doctor said that it is still too early to induce me right now, but I have another appointment at 37 weeks and they will perform an amnio to test lung maturity. Assuming his lungs are mature, the countdown is on. The doctor said to cross my fingers that I go into labor on my own by 38 weeks (and she really believes that I will), but if I don't that is when they will induce me. What that means is that Michael, at the latest, will be here by December 22nd.

With that in mind, I'm going to go ahead and begin my Maternity leave a week earlier than I originally anticipated, and my last day of work will be December 12th.

Let the countdown begin :)

2 comments:

  1. Question... why do they want to do an amnio at 37 weeks if you wouldn't be induced until 38? Suppose fetal lung maturity is not favorable at 37, will they subject you to another amnio at 38? (I'm always a difficult patient.)

    I have another question- is this the standard amount of ultrasounds that your doctor does or are you getting more for increased fundal height? I got one at 19 weeks for general fetal health, and then I got one at 25 weeks because I lied and said that I didn't really feel the baby moving. After that I had no more. Just curious. :)

    Beyond that, congrats on your earlier leave, I wish I had had a bit more time off work before delivery; I worked on Friday and delivered on Monday, I'm still berating myself for not having baby's scrapbook together at all.

    Are you ready for baby logistically? Clothes washed, carseat ready, sanity checked at the door? First thing Dave did when we got home from the hospital was install the dog gate. Babies are amazing; it takes awhile to appreciate all the awe.

    I'll be thinking about you lots.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz,

    You ask good questions. Honestly, I was still a little confused after talking to my doctor. Perhaps if I go into labor on my own at 37 weeks they will attempt to stop my labor for as long as possible if lung maturity has not been reached. The doctor would like to keep the baby in there as long as possible, and would like to avoid having to induce me, so she is hoping that I go on my own.

    As far as ultrasounds go, no, this is not the norm. My office usually does 3 ultrasounds. 1 in each trimester, with the last usually occurring around 30 weeks. The only reason I have had more (and will likely have more) is because I'm carrying such a gigantic baby. At first they were concerned about gestational diabetes, but since that has been ruled out it appears that I have just made one big baby.

    I'm scared about delivering this guy. His size is overwhelming to me. I can't believe he is already the size (or larger) of most newborns.

    And are we ready? Nope. But trying to be. Josh is going to finish setting up the bassinet today in our room (we are just using the one that comes with the pack and play) and I'm packing my hospital bag today. All the babies clothes are washed but none of them are put away. But - we've got everything we need, so we should be able to manage :)

    ReplyDelete