Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Going to the Beach...

I've been on the low carb bandwagon as of late. The Atkins Diet, specifically. At a birthday party this last weekend, a friends little sister shared some information with my husband and I about The South Beach Diet. While I've always known about the diet, for some silly reason I've always tended to look down on South Beachers as unable to comitt to the almighty hard core low carb Atkins. They were wuses. They wouldn't really lose weight, would they? How could they! Carbs! Arghhh!

Fast forward to Sunday, and my interest was growing. I started searching for forums, faq's, any basic information I could glean about the diet from the web. From what I can gather, it reminds me a lot of the way my grandmother ate. Mr. Right adored her spreads of fruit, vegetables and nuts with a small platter of bread, meat and cheese for sandwiches. It was satisfying - not too filling - and always refreshing. I think that is mostly what is drawing me to the diet at this point. But, for once in my life, I'd like to start out on the right foot instead of rushing in head first with half the information. With that in mind, I used a Border's Gift Card to purchase South Beach Diet SuperCharged along with 3 other books.

SBD (south beach diet) Supercharged is the latest version of the book about the diet. I'm not entirely aware of what changes were made, but I imagine that the author will spend a good deal of time addressing all the new lower carb products available now. I'm looking forward to reading it cover to cover before making my first shopping trip. I think Mr. Right may be jumping on the SBD wagon with me, as well.

Besides the diet book, I also purchased Real Solutions for Busy Moms and Powerful Inspirations: Eight Lessons that Will Change Your life by Kathy Ireland. After watching Kathy Ireland on the Huckabee show, I have found a new role model. I'm not sure how practical this is, and I suppose I will let you know after I have read her books! (I'm trying to be realistic about the fact that Kathy is a former super model and millionaire!)

Finally, I purchased "Today's Mom: Essentials for Surviving Baby's First Year". I'm hoping this book isn't filled with liberal drivel such as "Make your Husband do everything in the name of Feminism!" I'm looking for practical and applicable information that I can implement in my life to be a better wife and mother. Really, at the end of the day, that is what it is all about for me. I'm pretty happy with my life, and feel quite lucky most days, but I know that I can be doing a better job. I love my little family, and I want to take care of them to the best of my ability.

All these books should be arriving in the next several days - I look forward to sharing what I learn with you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment