Friday, November 25, 2011

Bittersweet, Black Friday

Yesterday was a bit sadder than I imagined it would be.

This was mostly my fault, since I hadn't made it abundantly clear to my friend's family that we were departing for SC earlier than originally planned. As we parted ways, the topic of Christmas was brought up, and I had to break the news that we wouldn't actually be in AZ on the 25th.

As is usually the case, my friend and I didn't get much of an opportunity to talk. Children + Husbands has lead to the typical get together involving little time for chatting, and an overwhelming amount of chasing after babies and going in shifts to eat while our spouses made sure the little's weren't burning the house down.

This year, Val and her sister Natalie actually cooked the entire feast! I spent most of my time making sure Mikey didn't fall out of the playground/tree house. He is sweet as can be, but not always the most graceful when it comes to navigating around sharp corners. I brought my camera, but of course didn't take a single picture. *sigh*

I'm looking forward to getting out there one last time (this time without the babies, Josh will be staying at home so I can get some quality time in with my best pal before we leave).

Black Friday for me this year involved running errands stirred in with some shopping. Mr. Finley needed to have his vaccines updated before I could officially adopt him out in good conscience (he was a trooper) and a necessary trip to Kohl's was made to address the issue of my inadequate wardrobe. In fact, the jeans I wore out this morning had started to fray by the front zipper in one spot, so I was getting perilously close to a disaster! I had acquired several Kohl's giftcards recently, and ended up spending over $200.00 on 4 pairs of jeans, a delightful sherpa lined hooded jacket, an assortment of long sleeved tops, and some much needed under garments. Original retail on all that I purchased would have been well over $500.00, and since I didn't end up spending any money out of pocket, I don't feel too bad about spending money on myself. Plus, I earned $60.00 in Kohl's cash, and have almost $80.00 left on one of the giftcards. This = $140.00 that Josh can use to buy himself some new pants (the poor guy has lost about 20 pounds, and has had to start wearing a belt to prevent wardrobe "malfunctions" of his own). Or... I could buy some fancy boots to get me through winter in Greenville :). Just sayin'. (A co-worker of mine has some awesome Roper boots - I would love to get a pair just like them, but I can't find them in the same red leather!)

I can't believe that we will be leaving in 21 short days. I'm 99% excited, 1% terrified. After Johnny cried for 44 of the 45 minute drive to the West Side yesterday, I'm 100% dreading our drive across the country, but I'm trying to think up ways to make it easier on everyone.

Well, it is getting late - I had best be getting to bed. Night, ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment