Sunday, March 11, 2012

About a Job...

I'm not sure if we have any good luck left to use on wishes for me specifically, but if we do...

I applied for a job at the end of February, and got called in for an interview 2 days later. At the time, it seemed like the worst possible moment to squeeze in an interview. I had appointments to get our cable set up at the house, Josh was at work, and we had family coming in from out of town to visit, and I wasn't sure how I could possibly squeeze everything in.

But then it all came together, and for some reason I wasn't nervous, and the interview went so friggin' fantastic I couldn't believe it. I can't say that I've ever had a better interview. I felt completely at ease, and by the end of it I was so confident that I had nailed it, and that the job was in the bag, that I really found myself at a loss when I hadn't heard anything from the hiring manager a week later.

Now I find myself waffling between writing the job off as a loss, and coming up with excuses for why they haven't called to offer the job to me yet. I guess in a perfect world J and I could afford to keep me at home to raise the boys for at least a few more years, but that just isn't in the cards right now, I don't think anyway. Then this interview happened, and I went from ambivalence to really really really wanting this job, like right now. By Friday I was biting my nails and pacing in the kitchen. Any time my phone plinked, I jumped to grab it, and felt complete frustration when it was 1 of 1 million junk emails I get a day. I finally broke down and left a voice mail for the hiring manager Friday morning. And then my cell phone crapped out on me and wouldn't power on. AGHHHHH.

By the afternoon I decided I had better email the manager and the other manager I interviewed with to let them know that not only was I still interested, and hoping to hear from them soon, but my cell phone had gone haywire and I was available by email, and hopefully again soon by phone. On the bright side, I figured out a workaround involving an app called "no-lock" for my phone. On the downside, neither the hiring manager or the other manager called or emailed me. I know it has only been a week. I know I like immediate results. But they seemed to like me so much, and I took it as a great sign when they asked for my opinion on a co-workers retirement party, assuring me that I needn't worry that I didn't like shrimp, for they would also serve beef tenderloin. Am I actually going to get to go to this retirement party?

Is it ridiculous to lose hope after 1 week? Do I start applying for jobs again in the mean time? I guess that is the only rational thing to do. Dang. Everything was just clicking along so nicely, I assumed this was one more click waiting to happen!

Here's to hoping that my next blog post is one about my rad new job...

Hoping, hoping, hoping...

Please call me!

No comments:

Post a Comment