Friday, July 26, 2013

Weight Watching, Point Counting.

So, I've been trying to do the whole low carb thing (very unsuccessfully I might add) for several SEVERAL years now. And deep down, I know it makes the most sense from a long term health perspective. So I try it. I vow every week to start anew, begin again, do. it. right. this. time. I do (begin again) but somewhere between breakfast and dinner, sometimes the same day, sometimes 3 days later, I find myself not following any diet at all.

All the other diets? They involved counting. Calories. Fat. Points. Whatever, you had to count. I HATED TO COUNT. All the food, all the time - it made me nuts and it felt like I was constantly thinking about food, which didn't help matters.

Then, J and I decided to have another baby. And we got pregnant. And I had a miscarriage. And I got pregnant again, and had another miscarriage. WTF. Here we are, 9 months later, and no baby (or baby bump) to show for it. About 5 months in, I found this forum for women tracking their fertility, and I decided to start tracking mine. Another month or two in, and I started monitoring my temperature daily to pin point ovulation. For someone who always hated to track things, I began to enjoy the detail driven world of fertility awareness.

It occurred to me, that while I've been failing in a big way at adhering to a low carbohydrate diet, I might be able to find success with Weight Watchers (I've lost count of the times I've started and stopped WW's). The plan hasn't changed much since the last time I tried, but I sure have. I'm not someone that could be described as obsessive, but I surely take much delight in now not only monitoring my fertility, but tracking (gasp) POINTS! I love it. J wants to know if we can have some beer tonight. "Well, maybe. Let me plug in my points for dinner and see if I have any left over." And so far the answer has been no, because now that I am tracking what I eat, I find that I'm eating "healthier" foods and not skipping breakfast and lunch and mowing down a buffet for dinner. So, yeah, not saving a whole lot of points for beers - but if I can develop a taste for MGD 64 (or Select 55) then I can probably start enjoying a few of those as well :).

After my excursion to Phoenix and eating everything in sight with zero refrain, it is good to be back to the sanity of Weight Watchers.


{a typical Weight Watchers lunch for me. Progresso Split Pea soup is meh, but the important thing to note here is that I have an actual serving of chips, and some delicious zero point Mt Olive Spicy Kosher Dills}


{diet coke w/ lime... NO POINTS!}


{WTF are points? Can I eatz them?}


{this whore has way too many points}

No comments:

Post a Comment