Wednesday, September 11, 2013

11 September

I feel like it is finally safe to write about now that we are more than a full week in to our new daycare arrangements.

The old daycare had been giving some red flags lately - nothing obnoxious, but the kids had been begging me to pick them up early, the turnover was crazy, and finally, the last straw, the Director we loved had quit. I found out the details of her departure from the Assistant Director, who informed me that she was also quitting (but had put in her two weeks).

Fortunately, about a month earlier, I had put the boys on a waiting list for a Pre-School right up the street from us. The curriculum is Christian based, which I'm fine and happy with, and so far things have been awesome! The real tip off for me is that my littles aren't ready to come home in the afternoon when I pick them up! For now, J man is only going M/W/F and still has "G-Ma" days on T/Th. Mikey is thrilled to go every day, and it was suggested that he not go part time since he is actually in a 4K class and would miss out on a lot of learning.

Strangely enough, I think the largest adjustment has actually been mine. I have never had to pack lunch boxes before (and I'm struggling with efficient ways to do this while also providing healthy foods!) and I've never had to do the whole "homework after school" bit either. I guess I assumed Mikey would be super into the whole homework thing, but he hates it, lol. I think part of the problem is that I never remember the homework until he is involved in some cartoon. So, obviously the solution would be to make him do his "homework" (we are talking like one worksheet here, folks) as soon as we get home.

I'm grateful to get this experience now, and have a year to get used to a school calendar before he starts Kindergarten. I'll try to post tips as I learn them!

Other than that, our early "Fall" days have felt more like an Indian Summer, with muggy afternoons in the high 80's. Even so, our Dogwood Trees (the first to announce that the season is changing) now all have their sweet red berries and leaves that are starting to go red. I've also indulged in my first Pumpkin Spice Candle purchase, and have baked Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins. I'm so excited that my favorite time of year is finally here!


No comments:

Post a Comment